Are You an Intuitive Empath?
Confession: I'm an intuitive empath.
- Have you been told you're overly sensitive?
- Do you feel overwhelmed in crowds?
- Do you prefer solitude over social gatherings (4+ people)?
- Do you need a lot of time on your own to recharge?
- Feel compelled to help others in pain no matter what?
- Known as a peacemaker (hate conflicts)?
- Always know others' motives and intentions as you can see right through them (so it's almost impossible being lied to or deceived)?
- Hypersensitivity to noise, scents and people talking?
- Random mood swings that have nothing to do with your life?
- Do you have a creative or an artistic nature?
- Furthermore, if you've taken the Myers-Briggs test, are you an INFP or INFJ?
If all of these apply to you, then you're an intuitive empath.
Bear in mind, this is not depression or anti-social behaviour (since actually being on your own doesn't depress you, but helps you unwind); but people like to label what they think they know, especially as not many know about being an empath.
An Empath absorbs energies and emotions around them like a sponge which can be very exhausting. They can't stand negative energy or energy vampires; it drains them more than anything you can ever imagine (I know from experience). We're only comfortable around those with positive energy, or those who don't criticize/judge/assume, etc. (even if you act otherwise, we know your intentions, remember, so unless you mean well, an empath will avoid you).
I met some of the most negative people you could imagine last year. As an empath, I would feel sick around them, even without them talking. And when you're the only empath you know in that place or a professional environment and there is no way of minimizing contact, there's nothing to say, so you keep it to yourself. Just a horrible feeling in your stomach that these few people don't mean well; they carry resentment/jealousy/hatred/doubt, etc. towards themselves, you or others. Being in a room with a few negative people can make an empath ill and struggle with their daily routines even after leaving such people because you carry their energies and vibes, and it used to take me days to start feeling better afterwards. It was pure torture. Try explaining that. Thankfully I no longer have to see them.
If someone has made an empath feel uncomfortable before, depressed or negative, it's almost impossible wanting to be around that person again and they will keep their distance. An empath likes the company of those who do not exhaust them. Simple as that.
If you have a friend or family member who is an intuitive empath, here is what you need to know:
- Always be honest with them; don't pretend or hide anything since they can always tell.
- Never be judgemental; accept them for who they are.
- Accept their advice and support, even if unasked for, since it's in their nature to want to help. Offering help is their way of showing love and support to those they care about.
- Be very considerate of the fact that they're overly sensitive (in ways you may not even comprehend), tend to avoid aggression, negative people/situations/crowds at any cost, and even violent media. Be understanding.
- Understand that an empath needs more time alone from the world. Don't force them to go out/be more social; they can only do it if they feel like it/are comfortable with the company/place, etc. However, from personal experience, an empath doesn't shy away from understanding, positive friends. In fact, it is advisable that they schedule meeting positive friends once a week or so as it helps an empath feel better afterwards. I've learned that an empath does, however, stay away from people who drain them at any cost, friends or not.
- If you break their trust or let them down once, it's almost impossible being their friend again; since trust is crucial to them.
If you're an empath, here are a few tips:
- Limit or avoid altogether negative people, energy vampires, crowds, etc.
- Take a daily shower or bath; it can do wonders since water washes off any unwanted vibes.
And remember, always be yourself!